Saturday, January 15, 2011

Disturb us...

Well, I'm home from our time in Africa. I have so much to say and so many pictures to share. I can't wait to do it! I've only been home for 3 1/2 days and already I feel like it was just a dream. I can't believe I got the honor and privilege of being with the amazing people of Ethiopia and Rwanda. But it wasn't a dream....it was very real. And the things I learned from Africa are probably too many to write out. As I go through the pictures with you I will try and convey what the Lord put on my heart. I have been forever changed! However, right now I want to share a prayer that has been floating around blog land for a while. I just felt it fitting for this season and the things I'm asking the Lord now that I'm back. I pray I will be forever disturbed...



Prayer of Francis Drake, 1577



Disturb us, Lord, when

We are too pleased with ourselves,

When our dreams have come true

Because we dreamed too little,

When we arrived safely

Because we sailed too close to the shore.



Disturb us, Lord, when

with the abundance of things we possess

We have lost our thirst

For the waters of life;

Having fallen in love with life,

We have ceased to dream of eternity

And in our efforts to build a new earth,

We have allowed our vision

Of the new Heaven to dim.



Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,

To venture on wilder seas

Where storms will show Your mastery;

Where losing sight of land,

We shall find the stars.



We ask you to push back

The horizons of our hopes;

And to push back the future

In strength, courage, hope, and love.



This we ask in the name of our Captain,

Who is Jesus Christ.



No comments: