Monday, March 2, 2009

Elmo eats a cracker...

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone for your kind and encouraging words to us about this next adoption!! As we walk this road again it will be important that we have support to encourage us along the way. I KNOW I have that from you guys!! Thank you!!

Now, on to Elmo. When you have an adopted child from another country who spent the first 20 months of her life in an orphanage, I think its normal for parents to wonder about your child's development. You look for signs that they are "getting" it. Playing with toys was very scary for Adiah in the beginning. She just didn't know what to do them and they seemed to overwhelm her. But slowly she began playing with them as long as I was sitting right there beside her showing her what to do. Then she would continue on playing. Well today, I gave Adiah a little cup of peanut butter crackers. She was sitting in the living room watching a show and I was checking my email. I walked into the living room and saw that she had spilled her crackers out so I went to help her clean them up. I bent down and saw THIS!!!!!


Can you see it? She fed her inanimate Elmo a cracker!!! She knew what to do! I was so happy that I scooped her up and hugged her tight and swung her around the room. Yeah Adiah!! She laughed and laughed but I engraved that memory in my heart. The Lord is changing her before our very eyes....thank you, Father!

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord encourages us, even through peanut butter crackers and elmo dolls!

Tonya said...

She's so cute and smart! I love moments like that...precious!

Kristi said...

I remember the first time Kylie fed her Elmo a quesadilla! Congratulations!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Oh Amy, I get the "getting it" part! YEAH for Adiah!!! So sweet! I am guessing there were some sweet tears on your part!

And on your adoption, I had a comment all ready to go the other day and poof it disappeared before I could hit publish! Oh well. I just wanted to say congratulations! Can't wait to watch God work! Thanks for sharing your amazing testimony of His working in your heart. Much appreciated!!!

Another AWAA Mommy,
Leslie (roomforatleastonemore (dot) blogspot (dot) com)